My Background

Sunday 13 April 2014

The Woldsman - my first ultra marathon!

6am 12.04.14....that would be time for The Woldsman!

Arrived at Driffield Showground at 7am and checked in in a big shed. I am number 28. That's my age. Almost. Anyway....

Cup of tea time, and a motivational note from my Mum to carry on the way :-)

'Nothing is impossible. Even the word itself says "I'm possible".' How many times I have said something is impossible, and how have I managed never to notice that before??

The shed is filling up with fast looking people, lots in walking gear, but lots in running outfits too. They all look really good. I'm looking forward to today, but am pretty nervous about the furthest I've run before being 35 miles, which is quite a lot less than this, and these people all look like 35 is a warm up for them. Ohh err. 

8am and we're off! I like these LDWA events. There's no fanfare or anything at the start, everyone just suddenly starts moving off in a big wave of eagerness to start the task ahead.....

You get a little card when you register which has all the eight checkpoints listed, and once you arrive at each one someone stamps it for you to prove you made it. There are also five self checkpoints where you have to stamp them yourself (these are on parts of the route to check you didn't take a short cut). There is also a 'bucket drop', which sounds exciting, and which turns out to be dropping a small wooden disc with your number on into a bucket. This was after only a couple of miles, and I couldn't find my disc. Panicked rooting in pockets ensued. How have I lost it already! Found it. Phew. The bucket has been dropped.



The first few miles it was interesting to consider those around me. Trying to figure out how fast I should be going, so pretty much following everyone else around me. There is a lot more walking than I've been doing in my training. Feeling like I could go faster than this, but it's still early on, and I'm also feeling really cautious. These guys obviously know what they're doing, and I really don't have a clue. And I'm worried about the last 15 miles! So I decide to go with their pace.

I got chatting to a girl called Tanya quite early on, and we ran together, or around about each other for all of the route. She had done this run several times before and some 100 milers, and she was a really calming and encouraging influence, and I was really lucky to meet her. Her Dad was also there, having run this several times himself also, this year was driving around supporting Tanya as he waited for a hip replacement. Andrew was also driving around to some of the checkpoints, so even in the middle of the countryside we had support, and I would just like to say "Thank you!" to both, because it made a big difference! At the end when I thanked Tanya's Dad, he said, "well don't thank me, I didn't say anything helpful!" which isn't true, he said many hugely helpful things, but another runner chipped in with "it doesn't matter what you say, it's just having someone say something to you that helps!" which is true! It's not always what someone says, but the fact that they were there and noticed that you needed some help :-) 

Andrew ran some of it with me too at a couple of checkpoints which really helped. New legs, and of course, his amazing sense of humour. Haha! Gave me a boost :-) 

Also, the event was so well organised! There were eight checkpoints, all around the countryside, some in really remote spots, all manned by cheerful volunteers, who had probably been there for hours, and gave up their own time. All stocked with tables heaving under piles of sandwiches, cakes, fruit, puddings, and a full meal at the middle one (including bananas and custard!) tea, coffee and water. So, massive thank you to the East Yorkshire LDWA for putting this on! Great achievement. I recommend The Woldsman unreservedly. To give an idea of the amazing amount of food on offer (and how much of a pig I am) this is what I ate during the run:

CP1: flapjack
CP2: 2 x ham sandwich, 1/2 scone
CP3: shortbread
CP4: bananas and custard
CP5: bourbon biscuit, flapjack
CP6: jaffa cake,
CP7: cheese scone
CP8: sweets

Plus a kit-kat and a handful of mini egg/jelly baby/ nut mix from my own stocks, and about 2 litres of water/ juice. My Mum joked this is the only walk she has done where she might put weight on. I think I might have just achieved this. Oops.

Off after CP2. Fueled by sandwiches and scones:

Had troubles with feet! Wasn't sure what to do! Ran through a field early in the run which was really dry and dusty and some dust/ stones got down the back of my socks and started rubbing my heels. I got a blister two days before the run by walking into town in shoes that are normally really comfortable but for some reason gave me a blister. I was furious, I never get blisters, why get one two days before I really don't need one! But, everything happens for a reason! Because of this, my Mum had given me some blister plasters, so I had some on me when I normally wouldn't, which saved my heels from further pain. Phew.

After CP3 - shortbread eaten, heels better and downhill coming up, good times!

Was nice to have my parents doing the walk too, and to text each other updates along the way. My parents did amazing, walking all day and into the night and finishing in just less than 17 hours - fantastic!



I was really surprised to have no low points really on the way round. I put his down to:

  • I think it makes a difference running with other people around, lifts your spirits and gives you something else to think/talk about compared to when running alone. Met some really nice people on the run - a guy who was doing the race for a similar 'reason' - doing 50 miles for his 50th birthday. He was also really optimistic and a good navigator and saved me from running off the wrong way up a hill - so big thanks! There are some others running 50 for the first time, and lots who have done the distance many times before. There was a group of us running at about the same pace for quite a lot of the race, nice to feel part of a group and help each other out.
  • Also, having all the different checkpoints to break it up makes it seem like not one big run, but 8 smaller ones, and the checkpoints got closer together towards the end, which helped too psychologically. 
  • And, having to navigate yourself really gives you something to focus on! In a road race all there is to focus on really is the next mile marker, and if you've having a rough patch, a mile is a loooong way! But if you have navigate and you're looking out for "the next stile over the hedge on the right after the fallen tree and the abandoned hut", then how far you're going doesn't stay in your mind so much, just looking out for things all the time. And good camaraderie to figure the route out with other participants.



So the miles seemed to go by really quickly. The scenery is beautiful in the Yorkshire Wolds. Really open rolling countryside, you can see for miles and it feels like you're on top of the world. Weather was pretty good too, mostly, well apart from the rain at the start and the rain near the end!

After the 7th checkpoint at Wetwang (great name) I ate a cheese scone and I following this felt really good and was also getting cold, so pushed on for the last 8 miles and finished feeling good. The finish: 


My finishing time was 11 hours 12 min and I was in 14th place:



I am so happy! I felt really strong at the end and it was a fantastic day and experience, and I feel like I have so many great memories of the day, and thanks to everyone for helping me! Definitely will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment